Self-empowerment is a topic that has not been emphasized enough in our society. Imagine being able to take control of your circumstance and achieving your personal and career goals easily?! We recommend that at least at the end of every year, you should be able to beat your chest and tell yourself that you are getting BETTER; It could be that you have learnt a new skill or improved or mastered what you already know. Lack of self-empowerment principles have been noted to be responsible for Nigerians falling apart in this present tough economy and end up blaming their misfortune on one reason or the other.
We are at a time when it is necessary to create multiple streams of income not just for survival, but to thrive in such an economic downturn. Realistically there have been noticeable changes in the following areas:
- Workforce (As at the third quarter of 2017, Nigeria’s working population was about 85.1 million of which some are underemployed… according to NBS).
- Consumption of resources (As a result of rising population).
- Commodity Prices: Related to reason #2, food prices have been in an upward spiral for a while now. Nigeria’s population continues to increase while production remains the same. People gotta eat, you know! What happens when the price of basic food stocks consumes a middle class family’s budget?
Becoming self-employed would not be easy if the individual has no salable skill that in turn generates multiple streams of income. The need for individuals to acquire such skills brings the need for the establishment of skill acquisition institutions that will aid self-empowerment and entrepreneurship development. We are all gifted and skilled in various ways, not all of us can be “skill teachers”… some of us have to be learners. The overall goal however is for us to be problem solvers.
In the light of this, here are our top 10 recommended low capital investment skills that would help you generate income:
- Content writing
- Social media consultancy
- Small Chops Food Business
- Event Planning
- Makeup and Gele
- Fashion Designing
- Catering and Confectioneries
- Hair dressing and Barbering
- Automotive repairs and maintenance
Practical skills acquired via self-empowerment provide individuals with occupational/career abilities to ensure self-reliance, additional source of income and employment opportunities.
A skilled person can survive in any environment, and has the attributes listed below:
- Self-reliance and independence
- Low dependence on white collar jobs
- Positive attitude towards work and labour
- Reduced poverty
- Contributes to diverse job opportunities
- Employment generation
- Crime reduction
It becomes obvious overtime that to effectively develop and make multiple stream of income, the people must be adequately empowered through skill acquisition and self-empowerment strategies.
Self-empowerment and acquisition of relevant skills will help to redress the problems of unemployment and poverty among the teeming youths and graduates in Nigeria as they will make them not only to be job creators but also wealth creators.
Hence, in the face of this tough economy, self-empowerment is a central pillar to economic growth and development, employment generation and poverty alleviation.